Update June 2014
BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS
An update of Projects of Rural Pre-Ventures Charitable Trust in India and some words of encouragement to Friends of Kodaikanal School to become involved
India, as we all know, is a land of contradictions and contrasts in the process of political and social transformation. Ancient traditions coexist alongside modern innovations. In Madurai, for example, the towers of the Meenakshi Temple are still visible from the rooftop of the Park Plaza Hotel a few blocks away, but the chance of finding a parking place for your car along Town Hall Road is next to impossible. It’s best to walk. In Kodai, too, unless you’re a bull bison or a determined tourist -- both similarly inclined -- you don’t dare cross a road any place without holding up your hand hoping for the best. Congestion. . . Over-population. . . Pollution. . . All the visible negative results of modernity.
All of these changes are increasingly distressing for those of us who have either lived in or returned to India again and again over the past fifty years. However there is one positive change that I have observed first hand during this time: the emergence of a new kind of leadership. With a burgeoning economy and its accompanying problems of growth and expansion, it seems those who ‘have’ are including the welfare of those who ‘have not’ in their planning -- especially those living in rural areas where basic medical facilities, education, and health care are limited.
Responding to this need, a small group of generous leaders in Kodai have started up a public health initiative known as RURAL PRE-VENTURES CHARITABLE TRUST. Here they are at work:
REACHING OUT TO FRIENDS OF KODAI HERE IN THE USA. . .
Not only are these folks competent and confident on their own turf; they are also comfortable and compatible with foreigners like you and me. As a liaison with the Trustees in India, I have formed a corporation in America -- Rural Pre-Ventures –USA -- to give support and to raise funds for this public health initiative.
We are a small group, but each one of us has strong ties to India, and we are happy to do what we can to help improve the quality of life and health within these Upper Hills villages surrounding our beloved Kodai. Here we are. We invite your comments and your camaraderie.
(See “Contact Us” for names and addresses)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE REST OF THIS WEBSITE FOR DETAILS ABOUT OUR CURRENT PROJECTS: You’ll find photos and slides and of weekly medical clinics, a dental camp, a pediatric camp, an eye camp, a women’s empowerment project, an arts and culture program, nutritional education, and much more.
THEN CONSIDER HOW YOU CAN JOIN US IN THIS WORK.
HERE ARE SOME OF OUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE:
A MOBILE MEDICAL UNIT
Transportation is the first consideration since it’s twenty kilometers to Poombarai, and that’s just the first of many villages we want to reach. The Trust currently uses a sturdy Bolero Jeep which will provide adequate transport for doctors and medical supplies until a larger van can be acquired. While we continue developing our work in Poombarai, the Jeep will be used to make periodic trips to one or more of the upper hills villages. First, Mannavanoor. Then on to Kavanji and Poondi and, as soon as possible, to more of the remote villages that circle the Kodai Hills. Besides the mobile medical unit, here’s our current “would like to do” list:
Current Needs to Consider:
- A larger mobile medical unit. Fuel cost Rs 1000 per day ($ 20.00 daily)
- We have two volunteer doctors, but we need a full-time doctor – perhaps
a retired physician – Rs 2.5 lakhs/yr ($5000 yearly; $400 monthly)
- Housing for doctor – in Centre? In Kodai? In village?
- Full-time driver/assistant – Rs 1 lakh/yr ($2500 yearly; $100 monthly)
- We have a trained physiotherapist. We need physiotherapy equipment to
be installed in our Health Centre. – Rs 50,000 ($1000 one time)
- We need equipment and furniture to make Centre suitable for weekly clinic, periodic camps Rs. 25,000 ($500 one time)
- We would like to hire an Ob-Gyn/professional midwife for Centre/mobile unit – Rs 2.5 lakhs/yr ($5000 yearly; $100 monthly)
- We need audio-visual equipment – screen, projetcor, DVD player for
Centre – in order to provide educational workshops. – Rs. 15,000
($300.00 one time). We also need films and DVD’s - Rs. 500 each
- We would like to give increased milk for school children and Complan for
elderly/weak people - Rs. 15,000 yearly ($30.00 monthly – or $1.00
- We want to establish an “Under-Fives” clinic in Centre/mobile unit . We
also want to provide regular health checks, child health awareness,
nutritional supplements, and an immunization schedule. (Volunteers)
- We want to provide pre-natal health education to prevent birth defects
and infant mortality. (Volunteer teachers and other professionals)
- We want to purchase of land for a permanent Centre (The current Centre
is given on a 10 year lease). (Looking for capital grants)
- We want to construct a larger Centre for all RPV activities. (Capital Grant)
- We want to purchase films for children and adults on such subjects as
health and nutrition, sanitation, water conservation, environmental
issues, fertilizers and pesticides etc. (Looking for donations and
- We want to create a study centre (inside the existing Health Centre) and
hire a tutor/supervisor so village girls can complete +2 under the Open
School scheme. Now education in the villages stops at tenth
standard. (Looking for Volunteer Teachers and Professional Support)
- We want to provide PE equipment and physical training for students
- We want to initiate a co-operative drying shed for farmers currently
drying garlic in homes – to avoid a recurring danger of smoke
inhalation and respiratory diseases (Looking for a Capital Grant +
approximately Rs. 6 lakhs = $8000.00)
- We want to hire a full time Administrative Coordinator to deal with day
to day coordination, long-term planning and execution of project
plans– Rs 1.2 lakhs/yr ($3000 yearly; $250 per month)
- We want to continue to develop Community leadership – women’s group, men’s group, youth group (Volunteer Support)
Please study this list of needs carefully and choose something that you would really like to support.
Or think about how much you can contribute to a general fund
either as a one-time gift or as an ongoing pledge.
GIVE GENEROUSLY TO HELP SUPPORT THIS NEW AND REVITALIZED RURAL HEALTH INITIATIVE IN THE KODAIKANAL HILL COUNTRY.
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT HOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION